Thursday, March 1, 2012

This Post if Just For Me (Read It is a bragging story about my kid)


For the past year and a bit, we have sponsored our first Compassion child. And for some reason, I hadn't really gotten Hudson very involved. It's been ONLY me writing letters and sending pictures--too busy to be intentional with Hudson. About the same time we started sponsoring Cesarine, Hudson received a subscription to National Geographic For Kids from my sister Christi. He lives for getting this magazine in the mail, and we must read it from cover to cover immediately. Well, who knew that Compassion also puts out a little magazine twice a year that is sort of like that. We got our first issue a few days ago, and it was mostly about world hunger. It was really cool. It featured different kids from all over the 3rd world and showed pictures of what they might eat. There were some games and even some suggestions on how our kids might get involved helping.

While we were reading this magazine, Hudson had decided that he really wanted to help feed some of these kids. He just could not comprehend some of these kids only got to eat ONE meal a day. Hudson played hockey this year, and all year long, he has looked forward to the end of the year tournament where he would receive a GOLD medal and a trophy. Laying in bed, he told me that he wanted to give his gold medal to help these kids buy some food. I have to admit, I was totally convicted by his generous heart to give his very best, prized possession to want to help these kids. I begin to ask God what "gold medal" did he want me to give. Hudson also decided that for his upcoming b-day party, he would ask people to bring a donation instead of a gift for him--that is of course unless they had already bought a gift--in which that case it would be fine to bring the gift for Hudson :). Oh, that made me smile--wanting to help, but still wanting some gifts for himself too.

Through all of this, I am realizing that it's my job to nurture that generosity in Hudson that will eventually die if we don't give him to opportunity to give cheerfully--and also make him aware of situations in which he can give. My prayer is that Hudson will be able to see that God can use him and his gifts to make a difference in someone's life. I want him to KNOW that. I love seeing how God is already orchestrating others to help Hudson give to this project. The lady making all the cupcakes for the party has donated her time and the ingredients and wants me to put whatever money I would have paid her towards Hudson's "gold medal". How cool. Of course, Hudson is only 5, so he doesn't have a ton of money (he gets 5 bucks a week in which 50% goes to savings, 40% to spending and 10% to giving). So, he woke up the next day and took out what he thought was a lot of money from his giving piggy bank and put it in an envelop to send it the mail. It was 15 dimes, 7 quarters, 5 nickels and 8 pennies--so less than 5 bucks, but he thought it was so much. I am praying God will see Hudson's heart and make his efforts multiply greatly.

That night, when I was praying for Hudson, I was thanking God for giving him a generous heart and praying that God would continue to show Hudson all the ways He wants him to give to people and help others. When was done praying, Hudson goes, "Mom, thank you for saying that about my generous heart. It almost made me cry--happy tears." He then proceeded to tell me that God gives us things, and we shouldn't just hold onto them in our own hands, but open our hands to others. WOW.

Now, I know this email seems bragging, but I will honestly tell you that though at times we have been intentional about giving--and helping Hudson to give, we have more often than not put it on the back burner. It's truly the Lord working in his heart to help him to understand, and NOTHING that we have done. I think that's why I am mostly in awe of it.

3 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

It's clear God has a calling on Hudson's life. I love his generous heart--it puts me to shame! Do you have a paypal account? I need to donate to Hudson's cause.

amy wright said...

What a sweet boy. I like the fact that he's also okay with it if someone has already purchased a gift for him. :)

Lindsey said...

This is so sweet. Good job, Hudson!