Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thanksgiving Run

Near the beginning of September, our really good friends, Rob & April, had told us that they would be going to Kelowna, B.C. for the Thanksgiving weekend to do a race. April's brother and sister-in-law, Andrew & Rozalia, had registered to run the marathon, and Andrew put the challenge out to this family. As a result, most of the people in April's family ran some kind of race on that weekend. Craig's folks have a place near Kelowna, so we decided we would run as well--so the "training" began. We had 6 weeks to go from couch potatoes to runners--and surprisingly enough, we did it!!

The start and finish line, right here baby!!

April & I before our 5K. My goal was under 35 minutes, and I did it in less than 32!!

Hudson got his face painted during my face. They had all kinds of things for the kids to do--including making posters and bouncy castle things.

We finished!! I ran with April's sister, Kari, and April ran in 36 minutes. This was April's very first race ever, so we were so PROUD of her!!

Of course, by day 2, Hudson understood that the racers all got to wear a number. He kept asking where his number was for his race. Thankfully, I hadn't thrown out my race bib, so I pinned it on Hudson before we set out to cheer Craig on at 7:30 am!! Hudson kept trying to get through the barricade and line up to race. He honestly thought he'd be racing!

Craig, Rob, and Ron(April's dad) at the starting line of their 10K.

They guys with their medals. Both Craig & Rob, did their all time best in 10K--which is 6.4 miles I believe. They were under 52 minutes.

And the best for last--Ron finishing his 10K. He finished in 58 minutes--I think. He came cruising in, like he had just done a walk in the park. He had an awesome run. He's not even my dad, but I was so proud of him.

Here's a video of me finishing--notice Kari coming in behind me--light on her feet like a little deer--and I looked like a big ol' well, I don't know what, but I sure didn't look as springy as Kari did!!
Thanks Rob & April for letting us be a part of your family Thanksgiving race. We had an absolute blast, and we're hoping to do more runs together in the future. Your family has inspired us to try to get our family to join us this spring for a family race day--so far, Craig's dad is on board!!

6 comments:

amy wright said...

Oh man! I love that Hudson thought he would be running, too. He's so cute.
I'm so proud of you! And I think you look great coming in to the finish line.

Becky Dietz said...

Wow---very impressed! You all look so good. I wish I liked to run. And I love Hudson's little spirit---he'll be a runner for sure!

Michael and Jana said...

Way to go! You rock and looked super cute in your running gear. That's half the battle, right?

Kathy Seidler said...

I'm proud of you Marcy! You looked great! So inspiring. Of course, you'll never catch me running, but I'd love to walk something like that one day! You go, my friend!

Lindsey said...

Way to go! That's really something to be proud of!

lbbryant said...

Way to go Marcy!!