Thursday, November 19, 2009

One little step closer


(Hudson preschool picture--age 3)
Well, I guess we are one small step closer in this whole adoption process as of last night. We had the first part of our homestudy yesterday. I received a call on Tuesday afternoon from the social worker that it was our turn, and could we do it on Wednesday!! What the heck? So, Tuesday night, we headed out to get a lock box for all our medicine, a fire extinguisher, a fire safety ladder for Hudson's room on the 2nd floor and a few other things we needed to make sure our home met all the criteria. Then I spent all day Wednesday cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.
We told Hudson that night at dinner that tomorrow we would have a lady coming to see if our family would be able to get a baby. We thought she might even have some questions for Hudson, so we just wanted him to know who was coming and why. The next morning (the day of our homestudy), Hudson got his special green blankie and some stuffies from his room to give to the baby that the lady was "getting" for us. I then had to explain that she wouldn't be bringing a baby with her today, but later on. He kept asking all day when THAT lady was coming, so I finally told him her name was Angela.
She came at 6:00, so for about 15 minutes before her arrival, Hudson kept opening the front door to see if Angela was here yet. When he finally saw her car pull into our driveway, he started screaming, "Angela's here!!! Angela's here!!" (like she was his long lost Auntie or something). As she made her way to the door, Hudson was on the porch screaming, "Angela, Angela, Angela!! Are you gonna get a baby for us, Angela? Angela, I'm Hudson Hallden, Angela. Do you have a baby for us?" So cute!! I hope he won her over.
She stayed for a few hours asking lots of questions about our upbringing, our families, our interests, hobbies, and life goals. She will be back next Wednesday to finish up. Then it will take her about 4 weeks to write everything out in a report which goes to the government. We are then officially done and just waiting to be matched with a child--or children.
So, there you have it. One little step closer. Obviously, we are hoping we don't have to wait for years and years. It can be as quick as a month or as long as years, and that's all we know.

7 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

Well, if I were Angela, my heart would have been won over by a little boy wanting a baby brother or sister! I'd have one on your doorstep as quickly as possible!!! Way to go, Hudson!! (What a cutie!)

amy wright said...

Hudson is so cute. He's going to be a sweet big brother. I'm excited for all of you!!!
P.S. I'll be calling you one day before we have to go through the whole process...to know what to expect.

As We Are said...

Awesome! We have friends here who stressed about their home study for weeks, so I think the late notice is great. It's done with and quick. I'm excited for you guys! Hudson would have won me over as well.

Mendi said...

That has got to be one of the best stories ever! My heart is melting. Luke is so attached to his blanket.... that is true love for Hudson to offer his blanket - what a tender-hearted lover!!!

Emily Suzanne said...

that's so sweet!! I'll be praying for the time that it takes for God to give you your baby would just seem like a few seconds for you guys... And that your heart would be so content in the waiting!

Lindsey said...

How exciting! This is exciting! Hudson is adorable, and I hope Angela saw how blessed any baby would be to live in your house and have such a cute big brother. Let's just speak it now: it won't be years! It's going to be days or weeks, but not years!!

johnny and shan said...

He won her over--how could he not have? We can't wait to hear more in the story. What a beautiful picture of what the Father has done--even the waiting part is a bit of a picture, do you think? I bet He held His breath waiting for us to become His children, too. You are holding your breath, I am imagining...