Thursday, April 1, 2010

Taking After His Papa


This blog is really just for me--a few little things I want to remember so I decided to write it down this way. I have known this for quite some time, but I am believing it more and more every day--we have another Hallden on our hands!!! Craig and his dad, Ron, have a great sense of humor--and they tend to hammer things into the ground. They have this WHOLE entire vocabulary and sayings that I am still learning about 8 years later. Ron's brother, Dan, also shares in this vocab. So, when they all get together, I don't think there's a normal word spoken. And I can see that this special vocabulary is being passed down to the next generation, and it brings Ron great joy to hear Hudson using his words and phrases. And that's what I want to share today--some of those things--and I will provide the definition. When I know the history behind the word or saying, I will try to give it briefly.
Cockeratchie--Cochrane--the town we live in. The other day Hudson says to me, "Mom, are we in Cochrane?" To which I say, "yep, this is Cochrane." Then Hudson says, "This is Cockeratchie like Papa says, and that's Spanish for Cochrane!!"
Now You're Talkin' Turkey--when you are doing something the right way. The other day, Hudson was riding his bike, and I said, "Way to go, Hudson, you're doing it!!" He quickly says, "You're supposed to say now you're talking turkey!"
Pesky Guy Gotta Away on You--this has different meanings, but the most recent way that Hudson used it was when he was trying out his new skateboard, and he launched it right out from under his feet.
Micka Chicka-- milk
Chickie come a lickie--chicken
Caught him square--hit where you're aiming. We sent Craig's parents a card a few weeks ago, and I was asking Hudson to tell me something special about his Papa so I could write it in the card. Hudson said, "I like when he says, caught him square!!"
Heed--head
Donzos--teeth
Macaroni Stop, Water Go Ahead--did you guess strainer??
Lam Bamma Gramma--Grandma
I could go on and on--as there are so many more, but these are just a few I've heard in the last couple of days. Ron loves hearing Hudson pick up on his language. I love it when he picks up on mine too. Just yesterday, I was talking to Craig on the phone, and I said, "Baaaabe" (real drawn out and kinda whiney) because I was pleading my case about something. I got off the phone right away, and Hudson says, "What did babe say?" I love it that he calls Craig that sometimes. If you ask him what Daddy's nickname is, he'll say babe! Love it.
So, I know you all don't want to read these kinds of stories, but I'm writing them down for me, so that I won't forget them!

5 comments:

Mendi said...

I Love IT!!!

Becky Dietz said...

Oh YEAH! We wanna read it! My favorite is Chickie come a lickie!!

Anonymous said...

Hudson really is a chip off the old block...who is a chip off the old block.... Marcy you did not join a normal family!! We love it that you and Hudson have decided if you can't beat them....join them!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Marcy. The problem will be when he starts writing these phrases down in his esssys in school? :•) I bet you thought you were marrying into a normal family, eh?

johnny and shan said...

My favorite thing is that you have always had your own language, and so you and Craig really were made for each other. And I have to wonder if Hudson is picking up on your language--like does he talk about the changeable weather in Cochrane or make nicknames for everyone he meets? I wish I could meet him (again)!!!!!