


From time to time, I have talked to different friends about the pressures we face as moms these days. Now whether it's pressure we put on ourselves, or pressure we feel others put on us--it doesn't really matter. I think we all feel it as moms! And it just seems, no matter how many times I say to myself, "I am going to trust my instincts and parent Hudson how I see best--with lots of prayer and even more of God's grace, and not listen to what EVERY other mom is doing!!" I always seem to compare either myself as a mom or Hudson's abilities or achievements to those around me. Right now, I am only a mom of a 2 year old son, so the ways I tend to measure myself to others is, are they potty trained? Do they sleep in a big boy bed? Does he still use his soother? Can he drink out of a big boy cup? How well is he using his cutlery? How long does he nap? How long does he sleep? What time does he wake up in the morning? It goes on and on and on. And I know that's just the beginning. In a few years, I know we will be faced with is he going to Christian school? Or, are you homeschooling him? Well, for us, right now neither!! I think Hudson has a light to shine, and I don't want to raise him to be scared of this world--BUT that's another subject for me, and I don't want my opinion on that to pressure someone else!! HA!
Anyways, today we were at a friend's house playing. We decided to let the kids play in the little pool in the backyard. I have been contemplating potty training for awhile (Hudson is 2 years 3 months), but I don't think he has a clue about where poop and pee even come from, so I think I may wait. Anyways, I am about to put swim diaper on him, but my friend says, "NO, don't waste a swim diaper, just let him run free and maybe he will see himself pee--blah, blah, blah. Well, after about 30 minutes, I decided to just put on his swim shorts--so his little bum wouldn't get sunburned! Sure enough, as it turns out, I should of put that darn swim diaper on!! He pooped ALL over the place. That's what I get for giving into peer pressure!! Good thing we could all laugh about it.
And just in case you are wondering about where my kid is on any of the above questions--here it is, he's doesn't take a soother anymore for a few months, he is still sleeping in the crib, he's attached like crazy to his blankie, he will use a spoon by himself, but prefers for us just to feed him, doesn't put his own shoes on or take them off, he is FAR, FAR from potty trained, he mostly always sleeps through the night, and usually goes to bed between 8-8:30, and for the past few days, instead of 7:30, he has been waking at 6:15!! UGHHHH. But he crashes for a good 21/2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. That's my Hudson. That's who he is. He's VERY laid back. He's independent when it comes to playing by himself, but he would be the happiest kid ever if I did EVERYTHING for him!! He's a man! He's funny, and he knows how to crack a joke. He loves to show off if he has an audience. He loves music and dancing, and yet at times, he can be really shy. Man, I love that little boy, and I just hope that I can trust in what God puts in my heart when it comes to raising him instead of what every other mom is doing!!
2 comments:
Well said. I think the biggest pressure I face... is I really enjoy working...I'll leave it there...
My mom said: I have to do motherhood how God wired me. He gave my boys to me, not someone else. He wired them for me and me for them - they will be my grace, my holy fire and perfect for me. I think she is right...and its the best parenting advice I have gotten.
You're right, this is fun!! I really love reading the thoughts (deep or shallow) of my friends! We've talked about this mommy issue before... and I'm with you about bucking the system!! Really enjoyed Kay's good advice above!
So... one quick/stupid question:
What does Canuck mean??
(Naive American that I am.)
Post a Comment