One of my friends in Cochrane just wrote a blog about how she doesn't really have a plan for her one year old and how they are just living day to day laughing and loving. She's not doing flashcards and trying to teach her to read by 2. The blog went on and on--it was quite funny, so I had to comment of course. As I was commenting away, I decided to write my own blog about Hudson--just a truthful blog about where he is in life right now. A blog telling the facts instead of boasting in his accomplishments--so, here's the real Hudson in all of his glory and quirkyness, and yet still the love of our lives!!
Hudson will be 4 years old in March, and he still can NOT doing the following:
--peddle his bike or tricycle
--spell his name
--put his socks on by himself
--put most of his shoes on by himself
--write his name--only an "H"
--put on his own mittens
--recognize very many letters in the alphabet
--put on his own movie--thank God!!
--button his pants
He can barely do the following:
--Count to 10--although, he's beginning to do this more and more
--Pull up his pants after he pees
--Dress himself--it's a painfully SLOW process
--Tell the difference between blue and yellow
--ride his little scooter
--use his cutlery with efficiency
--play a board game from start to finish
So, there you have it. That's our Hudson!! He hasn't played soccer on a team yet, or t-ball or hockey. He doesn't go to a music class or play any instruments--although he can sing a mean Paul Brandt song. He goes to preschool 2 mornings--but more for social--I don't expect him to come home a genius. He shows NO interest in peddling his own bike or even trying to get himself dressed--and when I try to teach him, it takes at least 20 minutes--he's SLOW!! He still doesn't buckle his own seat belt--although he does unbuckle. But you know what? I DO NOT CARE!! He makes us laugh every day because he has an awesome sense of humor. He is kind and genuine and loves people. Some things you just can't teach--character, personality, easy-goingness, etc. I know in time, he will do EVERYTHING on the above lists--in his own time, and it won't matter one little bit!!
4 comments:
Absolutely right! Focus on the important. But I DO encourage all you young moms out there to read about the temperaments. You will gain so much understanding about your kids!!
You go, "H"!!
Yes! I love this Marcy. Thank you for the real.
Awesome Marc!
Trust Becky's advice on this one--I'm doing the very same thing right now. And I think it doesn't matter if he's almost 4 and not a genius. Academics at a young age are WAY overrated. Addie is 4 1/2 and still can't buckle her own seatbelt, play a board game, dress herself or put her socks on. Big deal!
Post a Comment