

Garage sales are the best. We hit a really good one this past weekend. We got Hudson a few Fisher Price dinosaurs, a train table, and of course, he fell in love with the lion costume, and just had to have it. We would have paid well over a hundred bucks for all of these things (for the train table alone), but we got it all for the low bargain price of $30.
Recently, Craig and I met a couple who were NOT buying ANYTHING NEW for the next year. They said they were allowed to buy things second hand, but that they were trying not to buy anything they didn't need. They said it was really challenging at first, but they were in their 6th month when we met them, and they were figuring things out. The lady (sorry, don't remember her name) said that it's actually become fun trying to find what they need for free or second hand. It really made me think of all the consuming that we do. I am constantly spending money on things. Whether it's taking Hudson to the dollar store or it's me grabbing so many extra things at Walmart when I am only going for diapers, I feel like I never deprive myself of what I really want. This couple has challenged me to start thinking more about the purchases I am making, and what value they will have in eternity. I am not trying to get all "spiritual" here, but really I feel like if I spent less money on all those little things that really don't matter--the toy that Hudson looses interest in by day 2, that shirt I grabbed on clearance that I really didn't need, those extra little snacks at the store that we really wouldn't miss, etc., then maybe we would have more money to give or do God's work with. Plus, what a wonderful thing to teach our kiddos!! Just a thought I have been thinking about lately.
3 comments:
That Lion Rocks!
Rene' Brain came bringing a load of stuff to Living Water today and said she'd had an epiphany this week while HAVING a garage sale. She said she's not going to buy anymore GSC. (Garage Sale Crap) GSC is stuff that is useless (she gave an example of a plastic popsicle maker) that will only end up in a garage sale one day. Good thought!
I honestly didn't know you had a blog. So sorry to just now be catching the Canuck wave. You are now in my Google Reader and I will keep up as much as possilbe.
Post a Comment