Saturday, November 1, 2008

Nostalgia

I woke up today feeling homesick. Well, actually, I woke up today feeling tired, VERY tired. Hudson had a brutal night last night--which he rarely does, but I guess all that candy got to him. So, I woke up tired--but then the homesick came. I had to work this morning, and on the way out the door, Craig asked me if I had seen that card from Shannon yet. I had not, so he goes and finds it for me. I decided to read it at work. Receiving her letter today made me feel homesick. Homesick for China! Some days it just hits me. I miss that place. I loved being there--having such a purpose in my life. I loved the people, the culture. I just loved everything about it. Well, not EVERYTHING, but I loved living there for sure! Every so often, I get these waves of homesickness for that Asian country--for those warm, lovely people who had my heart. For the little orphan kids that we would go visit EVERY Sunday afternoon. For my girls, Chiti and Badi--who sold little nicknacks for a livivng. The years I spent in China were some of the best in my life. I miss hearing the language that I studied. I miss riding my bike or walking EVERY where I went. I miss food from one of my favorite restuarants, "the glass curtain". I miss chatting with all kinds of strangers on the street. I MISS Shannon!

Let me tell you a little about my friend Shannon. She is VERY different from me. She tends to be more quiet, more subtle, but don't call her shy--she doesn't like that because she is NOT shy, just more reflective and actually takes time to think about what she wants to say. She loves to have fun and to laugh. She likes to dance. She will NEVER seek to be the center of attention in any way. Again, she's so different than me, and yet she is one of my dearest, best friends. I love that girl! Shan and I met in China. We were teammates. We were an unlikely pair, but over time, our friendship grew and grew. She challenged me spiritually and in life in general. She LOVES her Savior and lives to know Him. She loves His Word. She loves people. I think that's what made her so good at her "job" overseas. All of those things all together. Some people never get to know the Shannon I know--they miss out. She won't push herself on you or be overbearing, and yet, she will fight for what she knows is right. She is loyal--so loyal. She has beared my burdens with me and for me--and taken them to the Father on my behalf. She is not selfish at all. She's humble. She would give her last dime to me if she knew I needed it. Shan is EVERYTHING that I am not--and want to be.

Now let me tell you some funny things about Shannon. When we lived in Asia together, she NEVER wanted to spend her money frivelously, and we often made fun of her for that. We would always want to upgrade hotel rooms or go for nice dinners when we were on holidays--not Shan, she didn't want to blow her money. Now, she would give her money away if she saw a need, so she is NOT stingy!! We would poke fun at her for not wanting to take a taxi because it costs money! She always kept her room so cold! We didn't have heat in our dorms, and her room was not on the sunny side, so her room was so cold. It's like she didn't use her little electric heater enough because if too many of us used them, the power would go off, and nobody could be warm. I guess she sacrificed for me--I always had mine on! One time, I went to her room and noticed she had her kitchen door duck taped closed. When I asked her why, she said that during the night there had been a rat in her room, and once she saw it go into the kitchen, she closed the door and taped closed so she could go back to bed and try to sleep. Nevermind that there was a big gap between the door and the floor where little Mr. Rat could have easily come back. Ok, probably these stories aren't even funny to you, but that's Shannon!

Shannon has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly in me, and she still stood with me. Everyone should have a Shannon in their life. I have known Shannon for almost 10 years, and have been blessed by her friendship. In the last 7-8 years, we haven't lived any where close to each other, and what I have found is that our friendship is special. It's unique. There's a STRONG bond there. God doesn't give you LOTS of Shannons in your life, so when He gives you one, you had better HOLD on tight to that friendship. Today I am thanking Him for her and for her friendship. Thanking Him for how she challenges me and encourages me. Thanking Him for giving me one friend who sees the real me and can be real right back. Thanking Him for blessing me so much!!

If you took the time to read this, thanks. If not, that's ok--this post was for me today!

4 comments:

Cheryl Dietz said...

Marcy,

Those "hits" from Germany are me, Cheryl Dietz. I tend to get on Amy and Becky dietz's blogs and check out all of their blogs and came across yours. I remember you and so every once in a while I check out your blog and see what is going on up north. The IMB has work in Cananda... I don't know what it is but you can consider yourself on the mission field. It isn't China, but ...

Becky Dietz said...

Ok...that brought back some fun memories!! Those were some of the best times. I remember singing in one of your rooms w/ your friend playing his backpack guitar. I remember us having a girls' night in our motel room. I remember going shopping w/ all of you. I remember eating with you and you guys giving your food to the little street urchin. But my favorite memory is the rickshaw races. I just wish we'd had a video camera at the time!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!

Becky Dietz said...

Oh! And watching 7 Years in Tibet! Why, oh why didn't you tell me I could have been arrested bringing that into the country?????

Amy said...

I feel like I know Shannon just from how much you talked about her when you lived in China. It's so funny because I feel like I know a lot of people...because I know their friend. Don't you think that heaven will be so awesome when we all introduce our friends to each other?!
I think that you'll get to be in China again one day.