Over the past several months I have been doing some thinking--and soul searching. It seems to me--and I can't seem to get away from this--that my generation is not concerned at all with holiness. Now, I am obviously not talking about non-believers, but believers. I am talking to myself. I am wondering what is the difference between holiness and legalism, and I think my generation (including me) has bought into a bit of a lie. We decided we wanted freedom--freedom that our parents' generation didn't seem to have. Their view of Christianity could at times seem to be very legalistic--no school dances, no alcohol (not ONE drop), no playing poker--not even for fun with your family, and the list goes on and on. We wanted to experience life differently--relate to a "lost" world differently than our parents (some of our parents--NOT all of them :)). So here we go--drinking just because we can, using language that does not honor God, watching stuff on the TV that we shouldn't, going to lounges or bars because we are "free".
Sure, there needs to be freedom from legalism, but lately, I have been so convicted that we have lost the determination to strive to be holy. And by holy, I mean, that we desire to be set apart from the world because we want to please God with our lives--and honor Him. Sometimes, I think we make excuses to indulge in sinful behavior and chalk it up to relating to people or to being "free". I have decided that in my life, I don't want to compromise any more. I want to pursue God with a wreckless abandon, and I want Him to shape my heart and my ideas to His own. I want to do what pleases Him because I love Him--and not because I want to follow rules. It has NOTHING to do with rules. But, I am convinced that God is more concerned with us pursuing holiness than He is with us trying to relate to people. Don't get me wrong, I know God wants to love lost people, but I think there are other ways.
Opening up our homes, delivering cookies to our neighbors, giving people things they need, not over indulging in "stuff" (materialism). Again, I could go on and on. I feel like I am having a hard time expressing what I feel inside because as I read over this again, I feel like it seems like I am saying that I want to go back to the legalism our folks grew up with. That could NOT be further from the truth!! I just don't think life is about getting as close as possible to sin without sinning--we should be fleeing.
Craig and I have been talking about how we want Hudson to see Christ alive in us. We want him to see us loving God and loving people. And I don't think we do that by compromise. I also want Hudson to know it's not about rules!! But I want him to see us giving to people, caring for people, loving on people, placing priority on people, and not just selfishly living our lives--and trying to get as close to sin as possible and chalking it up to freedom.
I could go on and on trying to explain myself, but I will just go in circles! I guess I am just trying to say that this year, I want to pursue holiness more than my own selfish desires. I want to be set apart for God. I want to give up something I really enjoy because I know it will please HIM to do so! Hope this makes sense!!
5 comments:
Marcy I understand completely. I have thought a lot about this as well. It seems as though we are a generation of seeing how far we can go before crossing the line, and when we do cross the line we justify it by saying we are no longer conforming to the laws of legalism. Such a great thing to soul search on. I'm challenged by your stance. I know Hudson will learn so much from you!
Jesus said he was coming for a pure bride. I want to be all he desires. I'm in, sister!!
I had to come read your blog again. And I think the difference in legalism and holiness is the motivation of your heart. And holiness can't be achieved apart from the Spirit of God. Just recently, I realized I can't be self-controlled apart from God's Spirit---because it's a fruit of the Spirit!! (Gal. 5) That amazed me!! Each of the fruits is just that---a by-product of the Spirit of God living in me! Wow.
I've thought about this post. It's been kind of...I don't want to say a struggle, but will for lack of a better word...for me since coming to this denomination and making friends that are different from friends I grew up with. So many more things are "allowed" in this church that I grew up thinking were evil. Of course, I knew that legalism was involved before, but it's hard for me to realize that the friends I have now aren't taking part in stuff "just because they are free." They really just don't think anything of it...but I do since it was ingrained in me as bad. And I'm not just talking about drinking...I'm just in a different environment.
I know where you are coming from sort of Amy--Canadians are much different than how we were raised too! I am not just talking about drinking either--it has nothing to do with drinking. I just want to air on the side of pursuing holiness above anything else.
Post a Comment