We get to school, and he's so excited to go in. I know we didn't do this in Texas, but up here, kids have to bring a pair of shoes to leave at school for their inside shoes. It's a brilliant idea really-- plus, it just keeps the floor clean in the yucky winter. Well, I let Hudson choose his school shoes, and for sure he chose some light up shoes. He was so excited to put them on when he got to school. He ran into his class proclaiming, "Hey everybody, these are my cool light shoes!!" I could barely even get him to face me to tell me good bye! He was estatic to be there. It sure makes it much easier to walk away, but more on my thoughts about pre-school in a minute. So, after nearly 3 hours, I go to get Hudson. When I walk in the door, I figured he would shout, "Mommmmyyyyyy!!" like he usually does when I pick him up from somewhere. When he didn't do that, I knelt down and said, "Hey buddy, how was your day at school?" Well, the chin started to quiver as he replied, "That teacher took my light shoes, and I won't see them EVER again!!" He was so sad that he had to leave his new light shoes at school. Ughhhh, why didn't I anticipate that?? After a few minutes of complaining about this "bad" teacher, he got over it kind of. Here I thought I was really stepping out and letting him get "light" shoes, but it totally backfired in my face!! I guess we'll see what Tuesday holds.
How did I feel about Hudson starting pre-school? I felt proud. I felt ready. I knew he was excited, and I just wanted to release him to go. I didn't ever feel like I wanted to hold him back. I guess I have always kind of been that kind of mom. I have enjoyed each season, but I have also fully embraced each new season as it comes. I want Hudson to one day be successful and independent. I love that little guy with all I am, but I didn't shed a single tear when I walked away from that school today. Instead, pride welled up in me as I thought he's taking one more step towards growing up. Sure, I was taking pictures and calling grandparents to share stories, but I was not sad--not even for one minute!! The plus side for me is that I get 2 mornings a week to train for the race I am running on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. I am only doing 5 KM, but nonetheless, I have to get in better shape. So I think I will use part of the time Hudson is in school to exercise.
So there you go. Our first day of pre-school. Here are some pictures of the day.
Standing by garage door rarin' to go

I had to get one outside--better lighting

"Cheese!!"

In front of his school



6 comments:
How fun! So glad he loves "cooking school."
Good job mama! Fully enjoy your "you" time! PS~ I want to go to cooking school!
Poor guy--having to leave his favorite shoes behind. He'll be excited on Tuesday to go and get them back. :)
You are a great mom. Little Hud is a super kid. I know this year will be lots of fun for you both.
And good job on training for the 5K. We have one here that I really want to train for in the spring. We'll see.
Marcy, I'm surprised you didn't run right out and buy him some light-up shoes for home! If I'd been there, Hud & I would have gone to get some. ha!
I know exactly how you feel.....
We have a little chef's academy here too! I've always thought about how Z might like it! hmm... let me know how that goes.
I for one have been bittersweet about Z going to preK. he's been going 4 days a week and LOVING it... I'm so happy and proud of him for how great he's doing~! that is the presiding emotion in my heart. And I didn't shed a tear when i dropped him off either, just felt a little odd not to have him at home :-)
You Rock!
Post a Comment