Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Just When I thought He was getting it...

Well, another World Vision commercial yesterday, and I thought I would use that to talk to Hudson about those children with nothing--no toys, no mommy, no daddy. Here's how the conversation went....

Hudson: "Mommy, I want my show to come back on!!"

Marcy: "Your show will be back in just a few minutes. But Huddy, look at these kids. Do you remember how you bought them some toys?"

Hudson: "uh huh"

Marcy: "These kids don't have a mommy or daddy, and they have no toys to play with or anything, and we have so much, so we need to help them."

Hudson: "They need to take a bath too, huh Mommy!!"

Marcy: "Yes, they need a bath too" --LAUGHING my head off

So, needless to say, not sure he's totally getting the concept just yet! However, yes, those kids do need to take a bath. It made me think back to my time in Tibet. Some of us had gotten to know a couple of little beggar kids quite well. They were FILTHY, FILTHY dirty. One day, my friend Mark and I took them to the shower house to let them bathe. It was 2 older brothers--probably like 8 and 13, and a younger little girl about 5. Mark then took the boys to get new clothes and a hair cut, and I took the little girl for clothes and brushed and braided her hair. In the shower, she was SO scared of the water--she had NEVER showered before! Such a fond, fond memory for me--if I can find the pictures, I am going to scan them and post them later!

4 comments:

OuR LiTtLe SmArTiEs said...

HAHA Huddy melts my heart :). You story about the little girl brought a tear to my eye!! I can't wait for christmas give Hudson a kiss from the Hill's

Lindsey said...

Yeah, Ryan's almost 5 and he still doesn't get it. We helped serve Thanksgiving lunch last week at Faith City Mission, and before we went, we tried to explain to them what homeless people were. He just cried over and over that he didn't want to help; he wanted to play. I guess we'll just keep teaching...

Becky Dietz said...

I remember the dirty little beggar boy you gave your meal to. He then took it to his mom who was laying on the sidewalk. We're so blessed....

Emily Suzanne said...

That's such a sweet story! I love that Hudson is thinking about those kids and the story in Tibet also. Good memory that you and those kids will have forever. awww!