Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Soliciting Potty Advice
Well, I started potty training Hudson today, and so far, he hasn't gone in the potty yet. Twice in his underwear and once outside with no pants on!! I keep putting him on the potty every so often, and so far, he goes about 2 minutes after I take him off. I have my chart and stickers ready to go (Hudson LOVES stickers) as well as my "treasure chest" full of candies and cheap dollar store junk, but he hasn't gotten to do either because he hasn't gone on the potty. I need him to go on the potty atleast once, so I can reward him--and maybe he will get it. I am welcoming all advice. Hudson is 2 years 5 months--is he too young? I am SO done with dirty diapers--I am ready to fight this battle, but not quite sure how to approach it, so moms help me out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think it just depends on your kid! I tried a couple times before Zayne turned three. Didn't work. You know me, all about waiting until the timing is right no matter when that is! So, when he turned three, I tried again. I got a small bubble gum machine and some stickers. I also got a cool timer and took two days. Set the timer every 15 minutes (he called it the "potty clock") and got him all excited. Sat on the potty, set the timer for a couple minutes and when it would ding, I gave him a penny, he got a gumball, we put his undies back on, and washed our hands.
He's a private kid, so I eventually told him to look at his book and stay on the potty and I would be right back. I left the door halfway open and then eventually, he peed in the potty. I didn't make a big deal when he wouldn't go, but I made a big deal when he did. I also wouldn't make a big deal when he would mess up in his undies.
It took a day and a half and he was good with the peeing on the potty, then he got the poopin on the potty down after a week or so on his own. I didn't have to set the timer after a couple days, just reminded him and asked him if he needed to go, etc.
It was pretty easy once he was ready.
I know I wrote a book... It was such a scary thing to me, but once we found the right timing and tools it wasn't hard. I just had to keep reminding myself to be patient... and that he wasn't going to be 12 and not potty trained so I knew it would come! :)
also a good source is mamasource.com!
You get an account and then look at subjects people have written in about. Reading people's advice on the bulletin board is how I developed my own personal strategy, tailor-made for Zayne :)
It's so nice to pick and choose what's right for you!
Hey Marcy! I think that both of my boys were this age when we started potty training. I've heard that boys are really hard to potty train. Isaac was a breeze. Josiah was pretty good at it...but he really just didn't care.
This is what I did: I think that I got the idea from Dr. Phil. Isaac was a BIG TIME Buzz Lightyear fan...still is. I told him that if he would poop in the potty (#1 wasn't a problem) then we would call Buzz Lightyear on the phone. Mom was Buzz Lightyear. It worked. He got so excited every time he he used the bathroom. Mom had fun too. When we got to Florida Isaac asked if we could call Buzz from here. He's 5 and still hasn't figured it all out...and probably will never forget it!!! Amy Wright
Oh yeah...I LOVED being Buzz Lightyear!! That poor kid is going to be so disappointed when he finds out some day that it was ME! ha!
I always knew my boys were ready when they would hide to poop in their diaper. That was when I knew that they knew what they were doing. I rewarded them with M&M's when they went in the potty.
I also put Cheerios in the potty for target practice. Boys love that!
Girl, you've gotten my HOOKED on this!!!! And I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to learning something new.
come to think of it, we went the whole first day w/ nothing in the potty, he didn't do the "deed" until a day or two later, but by that time we were done with the timer b/c he had gotten the idea... I'm leaving way too many comments!!! sorry!!!
(I'm "wordy") :)
so nice to hear that because today we went 0 for 5. So basically, Hudson never made it on the potty today either. He always went like 3 minutes after I took him off. Poor kid--and he sat and sat on that potty!!
Post a Comment