Saturday, October 18, 2008

Reflections....

Several of you have asked--some by your comments, others have actually emailed me and asked me to keep blogging my opionions because you were trying to understand where I was coming from. Until now, I have blogged out of pure and utter frustration. Frustration that wanting healthcare for EVERYONE was deemed "Marxist or Socialist". Frustration that the whole truth wasn't being told. Frustration that SOME (not all) Christians thought it was ok to spread false accusations and lies. Frustration that there were actually people that thought it wasn't ok for Obama to run for president because of HIS name--yeeousers!! I was bugged. I was completely bugged! But today is a different kind of blog. I have reflected on why I have "CHANGED"--no pun intended--HA! I decided I would share with you guys in a CIVIL way the process of that change for me.

Well, I grew up in the Texas Panhandle, and I think I was born Republican. As I grew older, I was certainly more Republican than Democrat--or so I thought--because I didn't believe abortion was right--and I was Christian. Somehow, I think I was brainwashed (just my opinion here, please don't be alarmed) to think that God was for the Republican party. And so, because I was Christian, I was Republican. I took my jabs at Clinton in 1992, and I pulled hard for George Bush, Sr. Looking back even then, I realize just how little I knew. I knew I was against abortion--therefore I must vote Republican. My brother and I would go round and round about politics--he was the ONLY Democrat in our family. He always seemed to know more what he was talking about, but I would always throw abortion in his face! I went on to university, then lived in China for a few years, and eventually got married. All these years still clinging to my Republican status. The first few years I lived in Canada, I was all, "Go Bush!!" I wore my Republican hat proudly--although I didn't know much--just that I was against abortion! Suddenly, (well, I guess more like gradully, but suddenly sounds better), after being in Canada for a few years, I began to take note of "Gun" control, and I noticed that there wasn't nearly as many murders in Canada, and I began to wonder about gun control. I wondered why it was such a big deal to want to be more active in controlling guns. Then I wondered why it was a partisan issue? Then I realized, I leaned more left on that issue. BUT, I was still Republican through and through. One issue down, many more to go.

Also, in Canada, we do have "socialized" medicine. Guess what? I love it!! Sure, we pay higher taxes, but it sure doesn't amount to the same cost as an insurance policy! It cost me NOTHING to have a baby. Many of you that know me well, know that we have struggled to get pregnant. First with Hudson, and now we are having a hard time again. We are seeking infertility specialist, and yep, you guessed it--we just show up, show our health care card, and get looked after. We walk out of the office after all kinds of testing without paying a dime out of our pocket. I began to wonder why Christians would be against that. They don't tell me what Dr. to go to. I can go to ANY hospital, I can choose ANY dr., I can walk into ANY urgent care clinic. I am NOT told where to go and when to go. AND every citizen in this country has that same right! WOW! Sure, there are wait times for certain surgeries and such, but on the whole I think it's a great system, and so I questioned why I grew up thinking that kind of system was from the devil or worse yet, the "Communist"--YIKES! We hire police officers, firefighters, teachers (public school), but darn it if we want our healthcare to be provided that way. And yet, many of our kids attend our public schools. Hummmmm.... Two issues down, more to go--and did I mention, I am still Republican!

Then I hear Republicans talk about capitalism and such--and how they say things like taking from the rich and giving to the poor. I hear Christians from Texas talk about this. I realize some of these Christians are the ones who have actually used programs like "WIC" and Medicaid to have their babies--which is government assistance at its best. I welcome you guys to come up to Canada, and just see how many rich people live in HUGE mansions up here. Doesn't seem like everyone is on the same level--the wealthy are still wealthy, and still entitled to their money and their wealth--it's not "spread around" just because we have medicare! Man, I am turning into a Democrat here?

Then I began to think about the environment and protecting it. This is something that the Republicans don't seem to care about at all. I am all for drilling (my husband works in this industry--although on the environmental side--cleaning up the mess), but I think we have to be more responsible with the environment. It's our duty to to so.

By now, I am realizing some things gotta change. I began to realize that abortion laws haven't changed much over the past 30 years no matter who was in office. So I decided that I wasn't going to let that decision alone dictate how I would vote. There are people DYING in America who cannot get proper healthcare. That seems to me to be a moral issue too. Now I know, some of you may be wondering about gay rights--and I how I feel there. I don't want the definition of marriage changed (neither does Sen. Obama by the way). But I honestly don't care if a gay person has the same civil rights as me. After all, this is America. I am not scared of gay people. Hudson will one day go to school with kids who have 2 dads or 2 moms, and I want him to learn to love people who live differently than us. There is nothing to fear. Jesus would love these people too. I have decided I would much rather air on the side of loving hurting people, then standing there judging them. God knows my heart, and I don't feel I have to stand up and fight gays--there are bigger issues out there.

I guess I could go on and on, but this is already getting too long. I just wanted to say why I am voting Democrat this time. Maybe in 4 years, I will vote Republican again, but I can tell you this, I won't unless some things change in their platform.

If you took the time to read this, I hope you can understand more of where I am coming from.

6 comments:

Becky Dietz said...

Thanks for sharing. I do understand where you're coming from. I think we've discovered why Jesus didn't get involved politically. He knew change could only come about one way.

As We Are said...

Ok, I am super jealous of your medical benefits. We have been without insurance for a year now. It stinks. Even though Kyle has a good job, we STILL cannot find insurance we can afford :( Maybe we will move to Canada!

Mendi said...

Hey Marc -

Its good to hear where you are coming from. I think leaving West Texas...caused me to think through why I believe the way I do... perhaps if I had stayed in West Texas I would have still analyzed my beliefs....

Either way, I know for me the issues of social justice, our environment and affordable health care have become HUGE issues for me.... these issues change the way you look at elections. What is our role as Christians.... just to vote or to get involved in the system to attempt to bring about change?

I was raised with guns and will always support the right to have them, but that doesn't mean that there can't be some checks and balances. Guns in West Texas are not the same as guns in Chicago.

Well, I'll stop there... I really enjoy your thoughts... keep posting

amy wright said...

I read your blog earlier and then I read Jason Dietz' blog. He talked about the Derek Webb song, "A New Law." I think that it has a lot to do with what you wrote about.
I think that I have gone through the same thing that you have gone through. Except that you have broadened your mind about politics and I have broadened my mind about what I was raised to believe (not necessarily by my parents but by all the Baptist, Texan, Dietz'...ha ha!). Now I'm Anglican and laughed the other day because the thought occurred to me, "God WANTS me to be in an Anglican church!" I love that I am at an age that I can really believe what I believe. And as far as political views go...it wasn't until I moved here, a place that has trees and some kind of environment to WANT to protect :), that I realized it was okay to want to protect the environment (HUH?? Why did I snub my nose at that before?). Anyway, I see where you are coming from and I am glad that you care.

Nicole said...

Marcy, I've been following your comments for quite a while now. You definitely have an interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. After all, as you have said, it IS your blog! And you can say what you want.

If you are inviting comments here, I will have to say that I politely disagree with you.

I think it is important to note that ONE MILLION babies are killed every year in America. I'm guessing that's WAY more than the amount of people who are dying because they don't have free healthcare. To me, abortion is still a monumental issue in how I vote. It's just too difficult to say that I could align myself with ANY leader (Democrat or Republican) that would allow and even promote the killing of innocent children. I've looked at Obama's record on abortion. It's shocking.

I've also done a lot of research on his other policies and proposals, so abortion is not the only issue I'm voting on. But it's the one I thought deserved a comment.

Thanks for letting me share my two cents. =)

kerri said...

Amen sister! Again, thank you!!!!